24 Feb 2015

Nine Questions With Al Lover

Photo - Keith Ainsworth
Nine Questions is a new regular feature on the Active Listener, where we ask our favourite artists nine simple questions and get all sorts of answers....

Today....Al Lover!

What was the first record you bought?
Probably some crappy thrift store nonsense, but the first one that holds any weight that I can remember buying is Yusef Lateef "The Diverse" on Atlantic.

What was the last record you bought?
It was a batch including Syd Barrett 'Barrett', Roky Erickson 'and the Aliens', PIL '2nd Edition', Schoolly D 'Saturday Night - the Album' and a couple others (no reissues here, haha!)

What's one thing about you that very few people know?
I love the Grateful Dead.

If you could record with any one artist who would it be and why?
Probably Sonic Boom. I would say so much of my textural aesthetic is inspired by him and musically I know he's very well informed by the same stuff I am and more (mainly because of his influence on me, haha!) So, I think it would yield really cool results. And I'm sure I would learn so much from that experience, which is the most important aspect of any collaboration in my opinion.

Who should we be listening to right now?
Nest Egg from Asheville, NC. Their upcoming album is out May on Bathetic Records.

Vinyl, CD or digital?
Vinyl at home, Digital on the go.

Tell us about your latest release.
My last release, Cave Ritual is a project I did where all the main samples were taken from one soundtrack record from the late 60s. I wanted to make something with an extremely limited pallette. So it's those samples, a couple breaks, some loops from old rhythm boxes, 808s kicks and like two synth patches. It's probably the most minimal work I've intentionally tried to do thus far. I really like how it turned out.

What's next for you, musically?
I have a new record I just finished that will be coming out late summer / early fall titled 'Zodiak Versions'. It's a project I did inspired by the 2 most important genres to contemporary music, which in my opinion are Dub (proper Jamaican dub) and Krautrock (mainly the more synthy stuff). Really stoked on this project. It's pretty weird and doesn't sound like anything I've put out yet. Hopefully folks will dig it!

What's for dinner?
Roast fish, collie weed and cornbread!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/coolallover
https://allover.bandcamp.com/music
https://soundcloud.com/al-lover
http://stolenbodyrecords.co.uk/record-label/al-lover/

No comments:

Post a Comment